The play of shapes and shades of green in this vegetable combo takes the humdrum out of these supermarket standbys. Lemon zest adds just the right zip of citrus, but unlike a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, it won’t turn the greens an unappealing khaki shade.
Makes 4 servings
Active time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add green beans to a 3- to 4-quart pot of very well salted boiling water, and cook, uncovered, until barely tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cook, uncovered, until beans and peas are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put butter and zest in a large bowl.
- Drain vegetables in a sieve and add to bowl. Toss until well coated with butter and zest.
- Season with salt and pepper.