1990s Recipes + Menus
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- a scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water plus additional if necessary
In a large bowl blend the flour, the butter, the vegetable shortening, and the salt until the mixture resembles meal. Add the 3 tablespoons ice water, toss the mixture until the water is incorporated, adding the additional ice water if necessary to form a dough, and form the dough into a ball. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped in wax paper, for 1 hour.