1990s Recipes + Menus
Plum and Almond Cobbler
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 lb prune plums or other plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and add plums, lemon juice, and butter. Toss mixture well and spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a food processor pulse together granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup almonds until almonds are ground fine. Add egg and pulse until blended. Spoon flour mixture over plum mixture, pulling some plum wedges up for presentation. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup almonds over cobbler.
Bake cobbler in middle of oven 45 minutes or less, or until golden and bubbling, and cool on a rack.
Serve cobbler warm or at room temperature.