1990s Recipes + Menus
Chocolate Sambuca Crinkle Cookies
- Active time:1/2 hr
- Start to finish: 3 hr
This is just one of Gourmet’s Favorite Cookies: 1941-2008. Although we’ve retested the recipes, in the interest of authenticity we’ve left them unchanged: The instructions below are still exactly as they were originally printed.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Sambuca or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Melt chocolate with butter in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Lightly whisk together eggs, walnuts, Sambuca, and granulated sugar in another bowl. Stir in flour mixture and chocolate (dough will be thin). Chill, covered, until firm, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Sift confectioners sugar onto a plate. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and roll balls, as formed, in confectioners sugar to generously coat. Arrange balls 2 inches apart on 2 lightly buttered baking sheets and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until puffed and cracked but centers are still a bit soft, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to racks to cool.