2000s Recipes + Menus
Creamless Creamy Squash Soup
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:1 hr
Watch executive food editor Kemp M. Minifie share her method for chopping and peeling butternut squash.
- 2 tablespoons fine-quality extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Tuscan, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb boiling potatoes
- 1 lb winter squash, such as butternut, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 fresh peperoncino (small Italian hot green pepper) or 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water, plus additional for thinning
Garnish:1 crisp amaretto (Italian almond macaroon), finely crushed (2 tablespoons)
Heat oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat. Add celery, carrot, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Stir squash, potatoes, peperoncino, and sea salt into onion mixture, then stir in 3 1/2 cups boiling water and simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove and discard peperoncino, if using. Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution), adding more water as necessary to thin to desired consistency.
Serve soup drizzled with additional oil and sprinkled with amaretto crumbs.