2000s Recipes + Menus
- Active time:35 min
- Start to finish:2 hr
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (not thawed; 1 lb)
- 1 (2-by 1/2-inch) strip fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder *
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Simmer onion in water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, uncovered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add cranberries and zest and simmer, uncovered, until berries are collapsed, about 10 minutes. Discard zest. Purée berries in a food processor, then force through a large sieve into saucepan and discard solids.
Stir in sugars, five-spice powder, and salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, then cool completely.
* Available at Chinese markets, some supermarkets, and EthnicGrocer (800) 523-1961; www.ethnicgrocer.com.