2000s Recipes + Menus
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Maple Hickory Nuts
- Active Time:30 min
- Start to Finish:30 min
- 3/4 cup hickory nut halves or coarsely chopped pecans (3 oz)
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lb Brussels sprouts, any discolored leaves discarded and stem ends left intact
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Special equipment:a Japanese Benriner or other adjustable-blade slicer
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Toast nuts in a small shallow baking pan until fragrant and a few shades darker, about 10 minutes. While nuts toast, melt 1 tablespoon butter and stir together with syrup and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add maple glaze to hot nuts and toss to coat.
Holding each Brussels sprout by stem end, cut into very thin slices with slicer. Toss slices in a bowl to separate layers.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a 12- to 13-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté shredded sprouts with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring, until sprouts are wilted but crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Add hickory nuts and any glaze in baking pan and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.
- Nuts can be glazed 1 day ahead and cooled, then kept, covered, at room temperature.
- Brussels sprouts can be sliced 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealed plastic bag lined with paper towels.