2000s Recipes + Menus
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote with Matzo Streusel Topping
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:1 1/2 hr
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 lb strawberries (4 pints), trimmed and halved (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 lb rhubarb stalks, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
For streusel topping
- 1 1/4 cups matzo cake meal
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter or margarine, cut into pieces and softened
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
Stir together sugar and potato starch, then gently toss with strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, and zest. Transfer mixture to an ungreased shallow 3-quart (13- by 9- by 2-inch) baking dish.
Make topping and bake:
Whisk together matzo cake meal, brown sugar, potato starch, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps. Crumble streusel evenly over top of compote and bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool to warm on a rack before serving.