2000s Recipes + Menus
Turkey Giblet Stock
- Active Time:30 min
- Start to Finish:3 1/2 hr
- Neck and giblets (excluding liver) from turkey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 10 cups water
- 1 Turkish bay leaf or 1/2 California
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pat neck and giblets dry. Heat oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown neck and giblets, 10 to 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until neck and giblets are very tender, about 3 hours. Pour stock through a large fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, reserving gizzard and heart for gravy if desired but discarding remaining solids. If using broth right away, let stand until fat rises to top, 1 to 2 minutes, then skim off and discard fat.
If stock measures less than 4 cups, add water. If more, boil, uncovered, in clean pot until reduced to 4 cups.
If not using stock right away, cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered, before skimming fat (it will be easier to remove when cool or cold).
Cooks' note: Stock can be chilled, covered, 3 days, or frozen 3 months.