2000s Recipes + Menus
Grilled Summer Squash and Zucchini
- Active Time:20 min
- Start to Finish:40 min
- 6 yellow squash and/or green zucchini (3 lb)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Prepare grill for indirect-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (high heat for gas); see "Grilling Procedure."
Trim squash and/or zucchini and halve lengthwise, then toss with salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
Oil grill rack, then grill vegetables directly over hottest part of coals, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, until grill marks appear, about 6 minutes total. Move vegetables to area of grill with no coals underneath and grill, covered, until tender, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
While vegetables are grilling, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, sugar, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Pour dressing evenly over vegetables before serving.
- If you aren't able to grill outdoors, squash and/or zucchini can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled well-seasoned large (2-burner) ridged grill pan over moderately high heat, turning over occasionally, until just cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes total.
- If you are making this entire menu, grill squash and/or zucchini while steaks are standing.