2000s Recipes + Menus
Spicy Green Salad with Manchego and Pears
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:20 min
- 1/3 cup green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (pepitas; not toasted)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mild honey
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 4 cups packed spicy salad greens, such as radish greens, watercress, and/or arugula, tough stems discarded
- 4 cups packed frisée (French curly endive), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 (1/2-lb) piece Manchego cheese, rind removed and cheese shaved into 32 thin slices (preferably with a cheese plane)
- 8 small red or yellow Bartlett pears (preferably with stems)
Cook seeds in 1 tablespoon oil in a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until puffed and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels and reserve oil. Season seeds with salt and pepper.
Whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add remaining 1/3 cup olive oil and reserved oil from skillet in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
Divide greens and cheese among salad plates. Cut off 2 opposite sides of each pear (reserve for another use), leaving a 1/2-inch-thick lengthwise center slice with stem and core. Arrange a pear slice on each plate and drizzle dressing over salads. Sprinkle with seeds.
Greens can be washed and dried 1 day ahead and chilled, wrapped in paper towels, in a sealed bag.