2000s Recipes + Menus
- Active Time:45 min
- Start to Finish:8 3/4 hr (includes marinating)
- 1 lb large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb), peeled, leaving tail fan attached, and deveined
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small leek (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 fresh serrano chile (optional), seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mild honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Cook shrimp in a large pot of boiling water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
Cook shallots in 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash leek and pat dry.
Add leek, garlic, and chile (if using) to shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add paprikas and turmeric and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice, honey, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Toss shrimp with sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl and marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours. Season with salt and serve in sauce.
Greens and chopped/sliced leeks: Wash in a large bowl of water, agitating them, then lift out and drain.