2000s Recipes + Menus
Lasagne in Bianco
White Lasagne with Parmigiano Besciamella
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:2 hr
This recipe is part of Ursula Ferrigno's Taste of Umbria menu. The menu also includes Flatbread Stuffed with Cheese and Prosciutto and Perugian-Style Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake.
- 3/4 cup minced shallots (about 6)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup rich chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 lb grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1 cup), divided
- 12 (7- by 3-inch) no-boil egg lasagne sheets
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Cook shallots in butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, 3 minutes. Add nutmeg, then slowly whisk in milk and stock. Bring to a boil, whisking, then simmer, stirring occasionally, just until sauce lightly coats back of spoon, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to warm, stirring occasionally. Stir in eggs, Marsala, sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese.
Spread about 1 1/4 cups sauce over bottom of an 11- by 8-inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of 3 lasagne sheets. Repeat layering 3 more times, then top with remaining sauce and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, until browned, 45 to 55 minutes.