2000s Recipes + Menus
Chicken, Mushroom, and Bok Choy Kebabs
- Active time:45 min
- Start to finish:4 hr (includes marinating)
Learn the story behind this dish in our column, The Recipe.
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dry Sherry
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb baby bok choy (5 to 6 heads)
- 1/2 lb large cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed flush with caps
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Equipment:14 (12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
Boil soy sauce, Sherry, and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 2/3 cup, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic paste, ginger, and sesame oil, then cool to room temperature.
Pour half of marinade into a large sealable bag and chill remainder for basting. Add chicken to bag and marinate, chilled, turning bag occasionally, at least 3 hours.
Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas); see “Grilling Procedure.”
Meanwhile, halve bok choy lengthwise and blanch in a large pot of boiling salted water (2 Tbsp salt for 5 qt water) until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Immediately transfer with tongs to an ice bath to stop cooking. Pat bok choy very dry, then, bending leaves, thread 3 or 4 halves (through bulb and leaves) onto each of 3 or 4 skewers. Put on a tray.
Toss mushrooms with vegetable oil. Thread mushrooms (through sides) and chicken (discard marinade) onto remaining skewers, alternating them. Put on another tray.
Oil grill rack, then grill chicken-and-mushroom skewers, covered only if using a gas grill, 6 minutes. Turn over and baste with some of remaining marinade, then grill, turning and basting occasionally (but not during last 3 minutes), until chicken is just cooked through and mushrooms are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
Lightly brush bok choy with oil and grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes total.
- Chicken can be marinated up to 8 hours.
- Chicken-and-mushroom skewers can be broiled in batches in a lightly oiled broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning and basting occasionally, about 12 minutes total. Broil bok choy skewers, cut sides up, without turning, until charred in spots, about 2 minutes.