2000s Recipes + Menus
Miso-Glazed Tuna Kebabs
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:1 3/4 hr (includes marinating)
Learn the story behind this dish in our column, The Recipe.
- 1 cup white miso (also called shiro miso)*
- 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 lb tuna steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
Equipment:8 (12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
Heat miso, mirin, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in mayonnaise, then cool to room temperature.
Put tuna in a sealable bag (or nonreactive shallow dish). Pour marinade over tuna and marinate, chilled, at least 1 hour.
Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (high heat for gas); see “Grilling Procedure.”
Thread tuna onto skewers, leaving a small space between each piece. Put on a tray.
Generously oil grill rack, then grill skewers, turning once, until just pink in center, about 4 minutes total. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Tuna can be marinated up to 24 hours.
- Tuna can be broiled on an oiled broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning once.
- * White miso is available at Asian markets, many supermarkets, and specialty foods shops.