2000s Recipes + Menus
Blueberries in Gin Syrup
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:45 min (includes cooling)
Learn the story behind this dish in our column, The Recipe.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 15 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 (4-inch) rosemary sprig
- 2 pints blueberries (1 1/2 lb)
- 1/4 cup dry gin
Boil water, sugar, juniper berries, rosemary, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 10 to 12 minutes.
Put blueberries in a heatproof bowl and strain syrup through a sieve over berries. Stir in gin. Macerate until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Juniper berries can be found in the spice section of your supermarket.
- Syrup can be used without gin if desired.
- Blueberries can be macerated in syrup with gin, chilled, up to 1 day.