2000s Recipes + Menus
Tuna Tonnato with Eggplant Salad
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:45 min
Learn the story behind this dish in our column, The Recipe.
- 2 (6-ounce) cans light tuna packed in olive oil (preferably Italian), drained, divided
- 1 large anchovy fillet
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 (11 1/2- to 13-ounce) jars or containers grilled eggplant, drained
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) bread cubes from a country loaf, toasted
Equipment:4 (16-ounces) wide jars or containers with lids
Blend 1/4 cup tuna, anchovy, mayonnaise, oil, capers, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth to make tonnato sauce.
Pulse eggplant, garlic, parsley, zest, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until combined but not smooth.
Toss tomatoes with mint, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Divide eggplant mixture among jars and layer remaining tuna (broken up into large chunks), tonnato sauce, croutons, and tomatoes (including juices) on top. Drizzle with olive oil.