2000s Recipes + Menus
Joues de Boeuf aux Agrumes
Beef Cheeks Braised in Red Wine with Orange Zest
- Active time:45 min
- Start to finish:3 1/4 hr
- 2 lb beef cheeks or boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 lb onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb baby carrots, peeled
- 1 (750-ml) bottle dry red wine
- 6 to 8 (3- by 1-inch) strips of orange zest
Preheat oven to 350° with rack in middle.
If using chuck, cut across grain into 4 pieces.
Pat beef dry and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat oil in a 4- to 6-qt heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown beef on all sides, 6 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
Add onions, carrots, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine and zest and bring to a boil. Add beef and return to a boil. Cover pot and braise in oven until meat is very tender, 2 to 4 hours (beef cheeks take longer than chuck). Season with salt and pepper. Serve beef with carrots and sauce.