2000s Recipes + Menus
Butternut Squash Soup with Chestnuts
- Active time:35 min
- Start to finish:1 hr
For more recipes inspired by the City of Light, visit our Paris City Guide.
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 large thyme sprigs
- 1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into (1-inch) cubes (about 31/2 cups)
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 12 bottled cooked chestnuts, chopped (1/2 cup)
Accompaniment:softly whipped cream
Cook shallots, carrot, celery, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf in oil in a 4- to 5-qt heavy pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add squash, water, nutmeg, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and simmer, covered, until squash is very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaf.
Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Thin soup if desired and season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup over chestnuts in bowls.