2000s Recipes + Menus
Vadouvan and Orange Shrimp
- Active time:25 min
- Start to finish:25 min (not including making vadouvan)
Learn the story behind this dish in our series The Recipe.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup vadouvan (Indian spice blend)
- 1 1/2 lb large shrimp in shell, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat and cook until butter gives off a nutty fragrance and is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Add juice and vadouvan, then increase heat to medium-high and boil, swirling skillet occasionally, until liquid is syrupy and reduced by about half, about 2 minutes.
Toss shrimp with 1/2 tsp salt. Add to skillet and sauté until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.