2000s Recipes + Menus
Pupu Platter (Polynesian-Style Hors d’Oeuvres)
- Active time:1 1/2 hr
- Start to finish:2 hr
For shrimp toasts
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry Sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 6 slices firm white sandwich bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds (24 total)
- About 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
For bacon-wrapped pineapple
- 12 slices bacon (about 3/4 lb), halved crosswise
- 1 (1 1/2-lb) pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 24 (1-inch) chunks
- 1 bunch scallions, greens cut into 5-inch-long pieces and halved lengthwise
For beef teriyaki
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 lb flatiron steak, cut across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Equipment:24 wooden picks; 24 (6-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes; an adjustable-blade slicer; a deep-fat thermometer
Accompaniments:hoisin and Sriracha sauce
Assemble shrimp toasts:
Pulse shrimp, ginger, oil, Sherry, soy sauce, and egg white in a food processor to a coarse purée. Stir together with cilantro, scallions, and 1/4 tsp salt. Spread on bread (a scant Tbsp each).
Make bacon-wrapped pineapple:
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each pineapple chunk, then wrap scallion around outside, securing with a wooden pick. Arrange in a parchment-paper-lined 4-sided sheet pan. Bake, turning once, until bacon is crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make beef teriyaki:
Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ginger.
Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise with slicer. Put each slice of steak on a slice of zucchini, then thread lengthwise onto a skewer. Brush with soy mixture. Arrange skewers, meat side up, on an oiled broiler pan.
When pineapple has finished cooking, preheat broiler. Broil skewers 5 to 7 inches from heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, fry shrimp toasts:
Heat 2 inches vegetable oil to 360°F in a 4-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. 3Fry 8 bread rounds, shrimp sides down, until browned, about 1 minute. Turn and fry until golden, about 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Fry remaining rounds.
Arrange skewers, bacon-wrapped pineapple, and shrimp toasts on a platter.
- Shrimp toasts can be assembled 1 hour ahead and chilled.
- Pineapple can be wrapped with bacon and scallions 4 hours ahead and chilled.
- Skewers can be chilled 2 hours ahead; brush with soy mixture before broiling.
- We’ve also got a web-exclusive recipe using the leftover pineapple.