2000s Recipes + Menus
Tuna Steak au Poivre
- Active time:15 min
- Start to finish:15 min
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 scallion green, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 lb tuna steaks (1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Stir together soy sauce, water, lime juice, ginger, sugar, and scallion.
Coarsely crush peppercorns and coriander with a mortar and pestle or heavy skillet. Sprinkle tuna with 3/4 tsp salt, then press spice mixture evenly all over fish.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sear tuna, turning once, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.
Serve with dipping sauce.