2000s Recipes + Menus
Corn-Bread and Chorizo Stuffing
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:2 1/4 hr
Learn the story behind this dish in our series The Recipe.
- Skillet corn bread
- 1/4 lb Spanish chorizo (cured spiced pork sausage), casing removed and sausage chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Butter a 3-qt shallow baking dish.
Crumble corn bread into 1/2-inch pieces, spreading out in 1 layer in 2 large 4-sided sheet pans. Bake, stirring occasionally, until dy, about 20 minutes. Cool completely and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, cook chorizo in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Add onions, celery, garlic, oregano, and 1 1/4 tsp salt and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add to corn bread.
Whisk together broth and egg, then pour over stuffing and toss well. Transfer to baking dish and cover tightly with buttered foil. Bake in upper third of oven 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until top is golden, about 15 minutes more.
- Stuffing, without broth mixture, can be prepared 1 day ahead and chilled (covered once cool). Toss with broth and egg before baking.
- We've also got a web-exclusive recipe using the leftover chorizo.