2000s Recipes + Menus
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:2 1/4 hr (includes chilling)
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Equipment:an instant-read thermometer
Heat milk in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
Meanwhile, whisk together yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl.
Add hot milk to egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly, then pour custard back into saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and registers 170°F (do not let boil). Immediately strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl and stir in butter and vanilla. Chill custard, its surface covered with parchment paper (to prevent a skin from forming), until cold, 2 to 3 hours.
- Custard can be quick-chilled in an ice bath, stirring frequently.
- Custard can be chilled (in refrigerator) up to 1 day.