2000s Recipes + Menus
- Active Time:40 min
- Start to Finish:40 min
- 2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (from an Italian or a French loaf)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3/4 lb ground beef chuck
- 3/4 lb ground veal
- 3/4 lb ground pork (not lean)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano (3 1/2 oz)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
Stir together bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl and let stand 10 minutes.
Add meats, garlic, cheese, eggs, parsley, 1 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper to bread crumb mixture and blend with your hands until combined (do not overmix). Form 1 1/2 cups meat mixture into small torpedo-shaped meatballs (1 level Tbsp each). Reserve remaining 4 cups meat mixture for ragù.
Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then fry meatballs in 2 batches (do not crowd), turning occasionally, until browned well and cooked through, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon and reserve oil for frying meatballs for ragù.