2000s Recipes + Menus
Roast Chicken with Pancetta and Olives
- Active time:25 min
- Start to finish:1 1/2 hr
View more of our favorite recipes from this issue.
- 2 chickens (about 3 1/2 lb each), backbones cut out and each chicken cut into 12 pieces (see cooks’ note, below)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 (1/4-inch-thick) slices pancetta, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 24 oil-cured black olives
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
Toss chicken with oil, thyme, rosemary, sea salt, red-pepper flakes, and 1 tsp pepper, rubbing mixture into chicken.
Arrange chicken, skin side up, in 1 layer in a 17- by 11-inch 4-sided sheet pan. Scatter garlic and pancetta on top and roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Drizzle wine over chicken and roast 8 minutes more. Scatter olives over chicken and roast until skin is golden brown and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes.