2000s Recipes + Menus
Braised Chile-Spiced Short Ribs with Black Beans
- Active time:40 min
- Start to finish:3 3/4 hr
- 1 lb dried black beans (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
For short ribs
- 1 1/4 oz dried ancho chiles (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cups boiling-hot water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotles in adobo plus 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not robust or blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 1/3 cups cold water, divided
- 5 lb beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
Accompaniments:chopped white or red onion; chopped cilantro
Put beans in a 4- to 5-qt heavy pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches.
Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
Make chile purée:
Wipe anchos clean, then stem and seed. Discard ribs and tear anchos into pieces.
Soak anchos in boiling-hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Transfer anchos to a blender, reserving soaking liquid.
Purée anchos with onion, garlic, chipotles with sauce, tomato paste, molasses, cumin, cloves, 1/3 cup water, and 1 tsp salt
Braise short ribs:
Pat ribs dry and season with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper (total). Heat oil in a wide 6- to 8-qt heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown ribs in batches, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer as browned to a platter. Discard fat from pot.
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Cook bacon in pot over medium heat until browned, then transfer with a slotted spoon to platter.
Stir chile purée into fat in pot (it may spatter). Cook, stirring frequently, 6 minutes. Stir in reserved chile-soaking liquid, remaining 2 cups water, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Return ribs and bacon to pot and braise, covered, in oven until ribs are very tender, 3 to 3 1/4 hours. Skim fat from sauce.
Cook beans while ribs braise:
Drain beans, then return to pot and add fresh water (8 cups), bay leaf, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until beans are just tender, 1 1/4 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans). Drain just before serving.
Serve short ribs with beans.
- Short ribs can be made 3 days ahead and chilled (covered once cool).
- Beans can be cooked 3 days ahead and chilled (do not drain). Reheat before draining.