2000s Recipes + Menus
Farmhouse Butternut Squash Soup
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:45 min
- 4 bacon slices
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 lb carrots, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Cook bacon in a 4- to 6-qt heavy pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
Add garlic and caraway seeds to fat in pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is pale golden, about 1 minute. Add squash, carrots, apple, thyme, bay leaves, broth, water, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and boil, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
Purée about 4 cups soup in a blender, in batches if necessary, until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot and season with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve topped with crumbled bacon.