2000s Recipes + Menus
Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Active time:25 min
- Start to finish:25 min
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 slices bread from a large round loaf
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated cotija cheese (6 oz)
- 1 (6- to 8-oz) avocado, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
Stir together shallot, cilantro, lime juice, 1 Tbsp oil, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
Top 2 bread slices with half of cheese, then all of shallot mixture and avocado and remaining cheese and bread.
Heat 1 Tbsp each of oil and butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Cook sandwiches until undersides are golden and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn over, then add remaining oil and butter to skillet and cook until bread is golden.