2000s Recipes + Menus
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:40 min
- 1 heart of romaine
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Korean hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tips) and crushed with side of a heavy knife
Cut romaine crosswise into 2-inch pieces and put in a bowl.
Cook garlic, ginger, and red-pepper flakes in sesame oil in a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until garlic begins to sizzle, about 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce and water and bring to a boil.
Pour hot dressing over romaine and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Marinate, stirring occasionally, at least 30 minutes.
- Romaine can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- We’ve also got a Web-exclusive recipe using the leftover hot red-flakes.