2000s Recipes + Menus
Seared Tofu with Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:30 min
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cream Sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated garlic (2 to 3 cloves; use a Microplane)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger (use a Microplane)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For stir-fry and sauce
- 2 large scallions, chopped, keeping white parts and greens separate
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 9 oz coleslaw mix
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Marinate and sear tofu:
Stir together soy sauce, Sherry, garlic, ginger, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Cut tofu into 4 pieces and pat dry. Gently toss with soy sauce mixture and let marinate 10 minutes.
Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, then sear tofu until golden-brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer tofu to a plate with a spatula, reserving oil in skillet.
Make stir-fry and sauce:
Add white parts of scallions to skillet and stir-fry over medium-high heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add red-pepper flakes, coleslaw mix, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Divide between 2 plates and top with tofu.
Stir together broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch and add to skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, then simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add scallion greens, then pour sauce over tofu and cabbage mixture.