2000s Recipes + Menus
Herb-Roasted Pork Loin
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:1 1/2 hr
View more of our favorite recipes from this issue.
- 1 (4- to 4 1/2 lb) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 6 rosemary sprigs, divided
- 8 large thyme sprigs, divided
- 8 sage sprigs, divided
- 8 savory sprigs (optional), divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (4 to 5)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Pat pork dry and season with 1 3/4 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp pepper. Straddle a flameproof roasting pan over 2 burners, then heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown pork on all sides, then transfer to a large plate.
Put a metal rack in pan and arrange half of herbs down middle of rack. Stir together shallots, garlic, mustard, and 1 Tbsp oil and smear over top and sides of roast, then put roast, fat side up, on top of herbs. Roast 1 hour. Toss remaining herbs with remaining tsp oil and arrange on top of roast.
Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 to 145°F, 5 to 15 minutes more (temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees as it rests). Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 15 to 25 minutes.
Make sauce while pork rests:
Remove rack from pan and discard herbs from rack. Straddle pan across 2 burners on medium heat. Add vermouth and mustard and deglaze by boiling, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half. Add broth and simmer 3 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 2-cup measure. If you have more than 1 1/2 cups, boil to reduce; if less, add water.
Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, until pale golden, about 3 minutes. Whisk in vermouth mixture and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Serve pork with sauce.