2000s Recipes + Menus
Jerked Ham Corn Bread
- Active time:15 min
- Start to finish:40 min
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal (not coarse)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked ham (1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon jerk seasoning paste
Equipment:a 10-inch cast-iron skillet
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter, then stir into cornmeal mixture until just combined.
Cook ham in oil in skillet over medium heat, stirring, 3 minutes. Add jerk paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer ham to batter with a slotted spoon and stir, then pour back into hot skillet. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in skillet 5 minutes, then invert onto a platter and serve warm or at room temperature.