2000s Recipes + Menus
Pasta with Anchovies and Zucchini
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:30 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 garlic cloves
- 12 oil-packed flat anchovy fillets
- 1 1/2 lb zucchini (about 3 medium), coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Heat oil and butter in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then sauté onion with 1/2 tsp salt until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a pasta pot of well-salted boiling water until al dente.
While spaghetti cooks, mince and mash garlic and anchovies together to form a paste. Add paste to onion with 1/2 tsp pepper and sauté 2 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain spaghetti. Add spaghetti to zucchini mixture with reserved cooking water and toss to coat. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and zest.