2000s Recipes + Menus
Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp with Pineapple
- Active time:45 min
- Start to finish:45 min
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry Sherry
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers (1 green, 1 red), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 1/2 lb pineapple, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (2 cups)
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
Combine 1 Tbsp soy sauce and Sherry in a bowl, then toss with shrimp.
Stir together 1 cup water, remaining 2 Tbsp soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and 1/4 tsp salt in another bowl until sugar has dissolved. Reserve vinegar sauce.
Put 1/4 cup cornstarch in a shallow bowl. Drain shrimp (discard marinade), then dredge in cornstarch, knocking off excess, and transfer to a plate.
Heat 1/3 cup oil in a wok or 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Stir-fry shrimp in 2 batches until golden and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per batch, transferring to a clean large plate as cooked.
Stir-fry onion and bell peppers 3 minutes, then transfer to plate with shrimp.
Add 1 Tbsp oil to wok, then stir-fry carrot and pineapple 2 minutes. Transfer to plate. Add remaining Tbsp oil and stir-fry scallions, garlic, and ginger 1 minute.
Add vinegar sauce to wok and bring to a brisk simmer. Whisk remaining 2 tsp cornstarch into remaining 2 Tbsp water, then add to wok and boil 1 minute (sauce will thicken). Return shrimp, vegetables, and pineapple to wok and stir-fry until heated through and coated with sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.