2000s Recipes + Menus
Guatemalan Red-Cabbage Relish (Curtido de Repollo Morado Guatemalteco)
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:40 min
- 1 (2- to 2 1/2-lb) red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- 1 large red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeņos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup beet juice from a can or jar of beets (not pickled; optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 5 tablespoons grated brown loaf sugar (piloncillo or panela) or 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted (see Tips)
Blanch cabbage in a large pot of salted boiling water 2 minutes. Drain well in a colander and cool. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with carrot, onion, jalapeņos, and bay leaves.
Whisk together vinegar, oil, lime juice, beet juice (if using), cilantro, loaf sugar, zest, allspice, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper in a bowl until sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour over vegetables and toss well. Let stand at least 20 minutes for flavors to blend. Discard bay leaves.
Serve relish sprinkled with cumin seeds.
- Relish can be made 3 days ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.