2000s Recipes + Menus
Mussels in Green-Peppercorn Sauce
- Active time:25 min
- Start to finish:25 min
- 2 large shallots, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 lb cultivated mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Cook shallots in butter with 1/4 tsp salt in a 5- to 6-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add peppercorns and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, then add wine and bring to a simmer. Add mussels and cook over high heat, covered, stirring once, until mussels just open wide, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any that remain unopened after 7 minutes.
Transfer mussels with a slotted spoon to serving bowls. Stir cream into cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Stir in parsley and salt to taste. Spoon sauce over mussels.