2000s Recipes + Menus
Romaine, Grilled Avocado, and Smoky Corn Salad with Chipotle-Caesar Dressing
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:40 min
View more of our favorite recipes from this issue.
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 firm-ripe 6- to 8-oz avocados, halved and pitted but not peeled
- 1 head romaine (1 lb), tough outer leaves discarded and head quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (high heat for gas); see “Grilling Procedure.”
Put parmesan in a medium bowl and add olive oil in a slow stream, whisking. Whisk in lime juice, garlic, chipotles, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.
Rub vegetable oil on corn and cut sides of avocados, then season with 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper. Grill avocados, cut sides down, and corn, covered only if using a gas grill, turning corn occasionally, until golden-brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Peel avocados and thinly slice. Cut corn kernels from cobs.
Toss romaine with dressing and serve topped with avocado and corn.
- Corn and avocados can be grilled, in batches if necessary, in a lightly oiled hot grill pan over medium-high heat.