2000s Recipes + Menus
Dim Sum Spicy Tripe
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:4 hr (includes cooling)
- 1 lb honeycomb tripe
- 4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup rice wine or medium-dry Sherry
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 scallions, trimmed, 3 smashed and 2 finely chopped, divided
- 1 (4- by 1-inch) piece peeled ginger, sliced
- 30 cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 (5- to 6-inch) fresh hot red or green chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
Rinse tripe in 3 changes of cold water, then soak in cold water to cover with 1 Tbsp salt 1 hour.
Drain tripe and rinse well. Cut into 4 pieces and put in a 4- to 5-qt heavy pot with water (4 cups), broth, wine, garlic, smashed scallions, ginger, cilantro stems, and 2 tsp salt. Simmer, covered, until tripe is tender, about 2 hours. Cool, uncovered, in broth.
Transfer tripe with a slotted spoon to a cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl, discarding solids. Set aside 1/4 cup broth and reserve remainder for another use (such as poaching chicken).
Heat peanut oil in a wok or 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking, then stir-fry chopped scallion, chile, and 1/2 tsp salt until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tripe and stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in broth (1/4 cup), chopped cilantro, and sesame oil. Transfer to a shallow bowl and cool to room temperature.