2000s Recipes + Menus
Baked Chicken Meatballs with Peperonata
- Active time:25 min
- Start to finish:45 min
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 slices Italian bread, torn into pieces (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 oz sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Accompaniment:garlic bread made from remainder of Italian loaf
Preheat oven to 400°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
Toss bell peppers with 1 Tbsp oil, then roast in a 4-sided sheet pan in lower third of oven, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 35 minutes.
Stir together capers, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil in a medium bowl and set aside.
Make meatballs while peppers roast:
Soak bread in milk in a small bowl until softened, about 4 minutes.
Cook pancetta, onion, and garlic in 1 Tbsp oil with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Cool slightly.
Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, then discard milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl, then combine with chicken, pancetta mixture, bread, and parsley. Form 12 meatballs and arrange in another 4-sided sheet pan.
Stir together tomato paste and remaining Tbsp oil and brush over meatballs, then bake in upper third of oven until meatballs are just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Toss bell peppers with caper mixture. Serve meatballs with peperonata.