2000s Recipes + Menus
Cumin-Scented Beef Kebabs
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:2 1/2 hr (includes marinating)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 lb sirloin flap steak or flatiron steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Equipment:12 (12-inch) skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes if wooden
Stir together oil, oregano, garlic, spices, and 1 tsp salt in a bowl, then toss with beef. Marinate, chilled, at least 2 hours.
Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (high heat for gas); see “Grilling Procedure.”
Thread about 4 pieces of beef onto each skewer, leaving small spaces between pieces, then transfer to a tray.
Oil grill rack, then grill beef, covered only if using a gas grill, turning, until browned but still pink inside, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Beef can be marinated up to 8 hours.
- Kebabs can be broiled on an oiled broiler pan about 3 inches from heat.