2000s Recipes + Menus
Spiced Milk Tea (Masala Chai)
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:15 min
Watch Executive editor John “Doc” Willoughby demonstrate this comforting drink.
- 10 green cardamom pods, cracked, seeds removed, and pods discarded, or 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 4 peppercorns (preferably white)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons loose orange pekoe tea or other black tea
Equipment:a mortar and pestle or an electric coffee/spice grinder
Grind together cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and fennel seeds with mortar and pestle or coffee/spice grinder.
Bring milk just to a simmer in a 2-qt heavy saucepan. Stir or whisk in brown sugar, ground spice mixture, ginger, and 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes to infuse flavors.
Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a 1-qt saucepan, add tea, and boil 1 minute.
Pour tea through a fine-mesh sieve into hot milk mixture (discard tea leaves) and cook over low heat 1 minute. Stir before serving.