Diary of a Foodie
Oyster Pan Roast
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: H2O
- Active Time:15 min
- Start to Finish:15 min
- 3/4 cup shucked small oysters (about 32 oysters), drained, liquor reserved
- Up to 2/3 cup bottled clam juice, if necessary
- 1/4 cup bottled ketchup-style chili sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices crusty bread, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon Pinch of paprika, or to taste
If oysters did not yield 1 cup liquor, add enough clam juice to bring total to 1 cup (if there is more than 1 cup liquor, discard excess).
Stir together oysters, liquor, chili sauce, wine, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, and 2 tablespoons butter in a metal bowl or top of a double boiler. Set over simmering water and simmer, stirring occasionally, just until edges of oysters begin to curl, about 5 minutes. Add cream and bring to a bare simmer; do not let boil.
Top toast with remaining 6 tablespoons butter and put in 4 bowls. Ladle hot soup over toast and sprinkle with paprika.