Diary of a Foodie
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: Anatomy of a Meal II with Lydia Shire
- Active Time:10 min
- Start to Finish:10 min
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 1/2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3/4 cup; see cooks' note, below)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken broth at room temperature
Whisk together yolk, mustard, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl until combined well. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until mixture is a thick mayonnaise. Stir in cayenne and cheese, then thin to desired consistency by whisking in broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To finely grate Parmigiano-Reggiano, use the small (1/8-inch) teardrop-shaped holes of a box or similar handheld grater. Other shaped holes, a Microplane zester, and pregrated cheese yield different volumes.
- The egg in this recipe is not cooked, which may be of concern if salmonella is a problem in your area.