Diary of a Foodie
Ribboned Zucchini Salad
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: Salt and Pepper
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:30 min
Watch this Diary of a Foodie episode and view its accompanying recipes. Plus, explore all episodes and more recipes from the show.
- 2 lb small zucchini, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 oz frisée (French curly endive), trimmed and torn into small pieces (4 cups loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, torn in half lengthwise if large
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn into small piece
- 12 Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (1/2 cup)
Special equipment:a Japanese Benriner* or other adjustable-blade slicer
Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices with slicer and transfer to a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle zucchini with salt and toss to coat. Let stand 5 minutes, then rinse under cold running water. Transfer zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and spread in 1 layer, then gently roll up towel to absorb excess water and let stand 5 minutes more.
Whisk together oil, zest, juice, mustard, anchovy paste, and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
Add zucchini, frisée, herbs, olives, and onion and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Each serving contains about 112 calories and 6 grams fat.