Diary of a Foodie
Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: The Green Kitchen
- Active Time:30 min
- Start to Finish:1 1/4 hr
The sweet potatoes will reheat beautifully in the microwave in about one minute each. Alternatively, they can be peeled and used in sweet potato pie, while the russets can be enjoyed as baked potatoes, or scooped out and mashed while still hot, or chilled and turned into hash browns. Roasted onions are milder than raw and a shortcut for many recipes that start with softening onion on the stovetop.
- 4 medium organic sweet potatoes (2 1/2 lb)
- 4 medium organic russet (baking potatoes) (2 lb)
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium heads garlic
- 2 medium onions (1 1/4 lb total), peeled
- 1 bunch red beets (1 1/2 lb including greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems intact
- 4 organic chicken breast halves with skin and bone (3 lb)
- 6 organic chicken thighs with skin and bone (2 1/2 lb)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (not hot)
Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 450º F.
Prick sweet potatoes and russet potatoes with a fork and rub with about 1 tablespoon oil (total) to coat lightly. Cut off tops of garlic heads to expose cloves, leaving heads intact. Put garlic on a sheet of foil and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, then wrap in foil. Wrap onions together in another sheet of foil. Wrap beets together in a double layer of foil.
Arrange foil packets along with all of potatoes in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan, then roast in lower third of oven 15 minutes. Meanwhile, arrange chicken, without crowding, in another large shallow baking pan and brush chicken all over with butter. Stir together salt and paprika and sprinkle all over chicken. Arrange chicken skin side up, then roast in upper third of oven (while vegetable are roasting) until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes for chicken and 1 hour total for vegetables.
Roasted garlic keeps, chilled in a sealed plastic bag, 3 days.
Roasted beets (left unpeeled) keep, wrapped in foil and chilled, 1 week.