Diary of a Foodie
Stir-Fried Asparagus with Oyster Sauce
Diary of a Foodie: Season One: China: One Billion Foodies
- Active Time:15 min
- Start to Finish:20 min
- 1 1/2 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine (such as Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
Cut asparagus diagonally into 1 1/2-inch-long pieces.
Stir together broth, oyster sauce, and rice wine in a small bowl.
Heat a wok (preferably flat-bottomed) or a 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately, then add peanut oil, swirling wok to coat. Add garlic and salt and stir-fry until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add asparagus and stir-fry 1 minute.
Add broth mixture and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.