Diary of a Foodie
Chicken Soup and Matzo Balls "Penny Style"
Diary of a Foodie: Season Two: North Carolina: BBQ and Beyond
- Active Time:45 min
- Start to Finish:1 day
For Chicken and Broth:
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped, plus 2 medium, finely diced
- 2 large celery ribs, coarsely chopped, plus 2 medium, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (3-lb) organic chicken, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
- 1 pinch whole peppercorns
- 3 1/2 quarts water
For Matzo Balls:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1/4 cup seltzer water
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (preferably Tony Chachere's)
Make Chicken and Broth:
Combine onion, coarsely chopped carrots and celery, garlic, chicken, peppercorns, and water in a 6-quart pot. Bring to a boil, skimming any foam, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3 hours.
Cool soup to room temperature, uncovered. Strain through a colander. Coarsely shred chicken, discarding skin and bones, and chill chicken and broth separately, covered. Discard vegetables.
Make Matzo Balls:
Lightly beat eggs, then stir in remaining ingredients until well blended. Chill, covered, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a 6-quart pot of salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 4 quarts water) to a simmer.
Scoop rounded tablespoons matzo mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and add to water 1 at a time, then simmer, covered, 20 minutes (do not lift lid while cooking).
Finish Soup while Matzo Balls Simmer:
Discard fat from chilled chicken broth. Simmer broth in a 4-quart pot with diced carrot and celery, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and salt to taste.
Transfer matzo balls to soup bowls with a slotted spoon and ladle soup over them.