Diary of a Foodie
Diary of a Foodie: Season Two: Fine Fast Food
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:20 min
Watch a clip of this Diary of a Foodie episode and view its accompanying recipes. Plus, explore all episodes and more recipes from the show.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (3/4-inch-thick) flatiron steaks (about 6 oz each)
- 1 (16- to 19-oz) can black-bean soup
- 4 scallions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Madeira
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Meanwhile, pat steaks dry and sprinkle both sides with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper (total). Cook steaks, turning once, until browned and medium-rare, 6 to 8 minutes total.
While steaks cook, stir soup in can, then transfer 2/3 cup to a blender (reserve remainder for another use) and blend until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let stand, loosely covered, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and cook scallions over medium heat, stirring, until softened. Stir in blended soup along with remaining ingredients and any juices from meat and bring to a boil. Spoon some of sauce over steaks and serve remainder on the side.