Diary of a Foodie
Rawa Fish Fry
Diary of a Foodie: Season Three: India & Vietnam: Complex Cuisine
- Active time:30 min
- Start to finish:1 1/2 hr
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 teaspoons Asian ginger-garlic paste
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 lb cleaned smelts with heads removed
- About 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup semolina (sometimes called semolina flour)
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
Equipment:a deep-fat thermometer
Accompaniments:sliced tomato and onion; lemon wedges
Stir together spices, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp black pepper in a shallow bowl. Add fish, turning to coat, then marinate, chilled, 1 hour.
Heat 2 inches oil to 350°F in a wide 5- to 6-qt pot over medium heat.
Meanwhile, stir together semolina and rice flour in a shallow bowl, then dredge fish in mixture, knocking off excess.
Fry fish in 3 batches until just cooked through and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer with a spatula to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 350°F between batches.